Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Cool Tool Review: Camtasia


What is the tool that you have chosen? What does it do? What else do you know about it?

The tool that I chose to review this week is called Camtasia. Camtasia is a pretty awesome tool, and has a lot of different functions. The main purpose that I would use Camtasia for is for screencasting. Lectures can be recorded using Camtasia and downloaded to different media outlets (Youtube, etc.) for students to view. Using this software, you can edit and create videos. There is no limit to the length of videos recorded on Camtasia. I found the software to be user friendly, and would definitely use it in the future.
The major downfall to this program is the cost. In order to buy the unlimited software, there is a charge of 199$. If I found myself creating videos and screencasts often, I would find the software to be worth the price. However, at the current moment, it isn't economically advantageous for me to buy the program. I did, however, enjoy the free 30 day trial that they offer.
This video, released by TechSmith, gives a run down on Camtasia and it's uses.

How and why might you use the tool in the classroom?

I would use this tool in order to create a flipped classroom. I would have students watch videos ahead of time created using Camtasia. I could then use class time to have discussions, do projects, and have students reflect on the material. I really like the idea of a flipped classroom, and hope that tools like Camtasia can help this become a major concept in my future classes.

Could students use this app to create their own digital media artifacts? What makes it easy to use? What would challenge students?

I wouldn't have students use this to create their own artifacts. This comes down to the cost of the program. I found it to be user friendly and really liked the program; however, I would have students use free software to create videos. Overall, I really enjoyed using this program. I would recommend at least trying the free 30 day trial to those who are unsure about spending the money on the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment