Sunday, March 12, 2017

Learning to Cook a Four-Course Meal

Goals

     My goal is to be able to cook each portion of a four-course meal successfully. I will learn to make multiple different dishes in each category. In order to gauge whether or not my food is “successful”, I will be doing a taste-test with at least three other people, plus myself. I will have each person rate the meal on a scale of 1-5. If they rate it at least a 4, it will be considered a good food item.
     I hope by doing this project, I will learn more about cooking. At the current moment, my meals usually consist of pre-made food items. I want to be able to make tasty food from scratch.
Write a paragraph or two stating what you hope to learn over the course of your Major Project. Please include detailed learning objective in this space.
     My learning objective is that I will be able to cook a four-course meal that is considered successful (4 out of 5 rating). I would like to be able to learn multiple appetizers and desserts to bring to family get-togethers and functions. I would also like to be able to make good soups and salads for my own benefit and also to share with others. I think that being able to cook multiple different entrees will be useful in my future.

Resources and Learning Materials

     I plan to utilize multiple different resources. My major source for information is the internet. I plan to use the internet to choose the food that I cook. I may use videos, in order to learn how to do different things that are necessary for cooking. I also plan to use my older sister, who I consider to be a good cook.

Documentation of Progress

     I will document the learning process in a notebook, which I will then transfer to a blog. I will post to my blog and share it on twitter to make it available to multiple different people. I will document every step of the learning process (grocery lists, recipes, pictures of food, etc.). I plan to use my blog to write about how I feel, what I’m learning, to post pictures, and to post videos.
     I will pre-assess myself by writing how I currently feel about cooking on my blog. I will also ask others about my cooking and post that on my blog to gauge how they feel about anything I have cooked/made in the past. For a post-assessment, I will do the same.

Planned Timeline

     I will break this project up into multiple steps. I plan to grocery shop and cook each week. I will also have to do research on the items I choose each week.
     During the first week, I will focus on appetizers. During the second week, my focus will be on soups and salads. During the third and fourth weeks, I will focus on entrees. For the fifth week, I will focus on desserts. On the second to last week, I plan to cook a four-course meal for a group of family and friends. For the last week, I will reflect on the learning process. I will also create a general post with all the recipes used and the ratings.

Possible Challenges

     I honestly don’t have a clue how to cook anything other than eggs. So this will definitely present a challenge to me. I’m fairly certain that some of my recipes will not turn out well, which could also be a setback for me. This is a learning process for me, so I don’t intend to become an expert chef in a few weeks.

Critical Friend

     I have multiple people that have agreed to help me through the learning process. My sister has agreed to help me cook/ give me tips if needed. My family and friends have also agreed to taste and rate my food.

No comments:

Post a Comment